Massage therapy has been proved to be beneficial in treating mental ailments like anxiety and depression. To treat certain mental conditions, some massage therapies can act as a good complement to psychotherapy. Five benefits of massage therapy are as followed :-
- Depression and Anxiety :- Two major and common mental health issues are anxiety and depression. With the help of massage therapy, the symptoms of such issues can be reduced. These problems affect the lives of people badly, both- professional and personal life. For the people who are experiencing these problems have seen that massage therapy left many positive impacts on them and also reduced the symptoms. Their psychological distress has been soothed due to facial massage. Massage therapies reduce anxiety, improve mood and activate the nervous system.
- Neurotransmitter and Hormone Balance :- Anxiety can be eliminated and stress hormone levels can be reduced with neurotransmitters. These neurotransmitters can be activated with the help of massage therapy. People suffering from many mental health issues like stress, eating disorders, depression have witnessed positive change in themselves after going through massage therapy. Massage has been proved to be responsible for increasing serotonin and dopamine and reducing cortisol, the stress hormone. Therefore, massage therapies increase neurotransmitters and decrease stress.
- Blood Pressure and Circulatory Issues :- heart rate and systolic and diastolic high blood pressure can be lowered by massage therapies. Even if you take rest for a period of time without any massage you cannot see the change that you can see after undergoing massage therapy. Black massage can be really effective in treating hypertension or high blood pressure and even after two-three days this reduction persists. Swedish massage can also reduce diastolic and systolic blood pressure and this reduction also persists for two-three days. Before having massage therapy, consult your physician and discuss whether massage therapy is suitable for you and if it suitable then which kind of massage therapy is ideal for you.
- Alleviating Symptoms of Illness or Disease :- Anxiety and depression can deteriorate the condition of the patients suffering from health-threating diseases. Quality of life can be improved with massage therapy as it frees up psychological and mental resources and helps to fight against the physical ailments. Low side-effects and healing power make massage therapies highly recommended by the physicians as complementary therapy. Side effects of the treatment of cancer like pain, depression, anxiety, low immunity and high blood pressure can be treated with the help of massage therapies. Also, if the patients of AIDS undergo massage therapy then they suffer less from stress, anxiety, anger and other issues related to mental health. Norepinephrine which is a neurotransmitter linked to depression can be reduced with massage therapies as well.
- Veterans’ Mental Health :- Veterans of different field especially the army, pilot, police etc. suffer from pain, tension, irritability, worry, depression and anxiety a lot and they can get relief from all these with massage therapy.People suffering from posttraumatic stress can be cured with rigorous massage therapy. Massage therapies end their hyper-aroused mechanisms of survival and help them to have a good sleep and relax them.